Hey Friends, this post is about the Most Decorated Gallantry awards of India you must know. These Gallantry awards are most decorated in India and the world and also asked in many competitive exams. So must check the details about these gallantry awards when they are instituted and who has received it first.
History of Gallantry awards of India
Post-Independence India has started giving the first three gallantry awards to Indian Defence personal who died for us and nation. Initially, there are 3 Gallantry awards popular in India they are the Param Vir Chakra, The Mahavir Chakara, and the Vir Chakra.
When the Gallantry awards of India was Instituted?
Post-Independence government of India has decided to give Gallantry awards to Indian Defence service personal for their valour service and sacrifice for the nation.
Initially, the Param Vir Chakra, the Mahavir Chakra and the Vir Chakra were instituted on 26th Jan 1950. The next three were named the Ashok Chakra, the Kirti Chakra and the Shaurya Chakra were instituted and stated from 4th Jan 1952.
What is the Older Name of Gallantry awards and when they renamed?
- The Ashok Chakra – I renamed as The Ashoka Chakra.
- The Ashok Chakra -II renamed as The Kirti Chakra.
- The Ashok Chakra – III renamed as The Shaurya Chakra.
So till now, we know about the when the gallantry awards were instituted. Let’s know about the history of Gallantry awards.
Eligibility Criteria of Gallantry awards of India
Gallantry awards of India are given only to the Defence personal who have done the supreme sacrifice for our Nation.
History of the Param Vir Chakra, the Mahavir Chakra and the Vir Chakra
1. The ParamVir Chakra
- Param Vir Chakra means – “Greatest of Ultimate Brave.”
- This Gallantry award is granted for “most conspicuous bravery in the presence of the enemy.”
- The Medal was designed by “Savitri Khanolkar.”
- Coincidently the first recipient of the Param Vir Chakra was the daughter’s brother-in-law.
- The Param Vir Chakra is equivalent to the Medal of Honor of the United States of America, the Victoria Cross of United Kingdom.
- Established – 26th Jan 1950
- First awarded – 3rd November 1947
- Last awarded – 6th July 1999.
- Total awarded – 21
- Posthumously awarded 14
- Distinct recipient – 21
Allowances by the State Governments to the recipients of the Param Vir Chakra
|Cash Amount||State Awarding|
|Rs. 20 Million||Haryana|
|Rs. 10 Million||Telangana|
|Rs. 3 Million||Punjab|
|Rs. 2.5 Million||Assam, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, DL, Goa, HP, KR, MH, UP, UK|
|Rs. 2 Million||Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh|
|Rs. 1.5 Million||Tamil Nadu, Mizoram|
|Rs. 1 Million||Jharkhand, AP, Bihar|
|Rs. 22,500||Gujrat, J&K, KR, Odhisa, Sikkim, WB|
2. Mahavir Chakra
This is second most decorated gallantry award in India named Mahavir Chakra. Here is the detail and history of Mahavir Chakra.
- Mahavir Chakra (MVC) means literally a great warrior medal.
- Given for acts of conspicuous gallantry in the presence of the enemy in presence of Land, sea, and air.
- Established – 26th January 1950
- First Awarded – 1947
- Last Awarded – 2001
- Posthumously awarded – 73
- Distinct recipient – 2018
3. Vir Chakra
- This is the third most decorated Gallantry awards of India.
- Replaced British Distinguished Service Cross(DSC), Military Cross(MC), Distinguished Flying Cross(DFC).
- The Vir Chakra is granted for acts of Gallantry in the presence of the enemy in land, air, or sea.
- The ribbon is 32mm, half dark blue and half orange saffron.
- Dark blue 16mm, saffron 16mm.
- Established – 1947
- First Awarded – 1947
- Last awarded – 2019
- Posthumously awarded – 361
- Distinct recipients – 1322.