By this post I’m sharing real story of a real hero of Indian Navy who lost his life for us in 1971 in India Pakistan War and received Mahavir Chakra.
About Captain Mahendra Nath Mulla and His Career Life.
- Born on 15th May 1926, Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Commissioned in the Royal Indian Navy on 1st May 1948.
- Promoted to the rank of Commander on 30th June 1960.
- His life span from 15th May 1926 to 9 Dec 1976.
- As commanding officer of INS Khurki he choose to go down with his sinking ship during Indo-Pakistan War 1971.
- He saved many of his men and officers life by doing this.
- He was the first Captain of Independent India’s Navy to go down with his ship.
- Maj. General (retd) Lan Cardozo has authored a book on this incident.
- INS Khurki was sunk near Diu, Gujrat by the torpedo hit by Pakistan navy Daphene-class Hangor .
- Pennant Number of INS Khurki was F-149 and was Black wood class frigate.
- INS Khurki the only ship lost in combat in the history of Indian Navy.
- Mahendra Nath Mulla awarded the second highest military honour Popular in India.