Are you planning your trip to Goa in March 2022? If yes then not miss the biggest festival of Goa in the year 2022. Here is the complete information about Goa Carnival Festival with dates and venue. Must Check before going this year.
About Goa Carnival 2022
Goa carnival 2022 is one of the biggest carnival celebrated in India and one of few happening across Asia. This takes place in February month or first week of March. This is one of the major tourist attraction.
Dates of Goa Carnival in 2019
The next year in 2022 Goa Carnival started from the Afternoon on 26th February 2022 and ends in the afternoon of 1st March 2022.
Dates of Goa Carnival in upcoming years
2020 date Afternoon, February 22 – midday, February 25.
2021 date Afternoon, February 13 – midday, February 16.
2022 date Afternoon, February 26 – midday, March 1, 2022.
When the Goa Carnival Started?
Goa Carnival started in 1960 and it boost from the end of Portuguese rule in Goa.
Need to know about Goa Carnival and Its traditions
- Goa Carnival is scaled after the end of Portuguese rule.
- This is ruler based festival.
- Urban floats-based parade.
- Including by the staging of street side local plays.
- The coastal Catholic-majority taluka of Salcete.
- The carnival is “Goa’s most famous festival and has been celebrated since the 18th century”.
- Goa usually starts off on Fat Saturday known as ‘Sabado Gordo’ and concludes on Fat Tuesday known as ‘Shrove Tuesday’.
- Just before Ash Wednesday that starts with the first day of the season of Lent.
- Goa comes under the rule of King Momo during the Carnaval period. King Momo preaches the message “Kha, piye aani majja kar” (English: “Eat, drink and make merry”).
What is happening in Parade in Goa carnival?
- Cities in parade Panjim, Margao, Ponda, Vasco, Curchorem, Mapusa and Morjim.
- First day-Fat Saturday evening with a colossal procession headed by King Momo.
- Balloons bobbed up in the air with multicolored trails and a colorful procession featuring horse-drawn carriages, decorated bullock carts and gorgeously bedecked floats are the highlights of the parade.
- The festivities during Goa Carnival include dancing troupes, revelers wearing masks and costumes usually, electrifying music which is generally performed live, sports competitions, floats & parades and hedonistic pursuits like great food and drinking.