This post is listing about the details of list of Presidents of India Post Independence from 1947 to 2020. In this post you will also get information about who can be eligible for president of India, Who elects President of India, for how many years a president of India is elected and who is current president of India?
Here is the list of Presidents of India post Independence of India
Before going forward the list of the president of India lets first know who is President of India and what are the power of President of India?
President of India is the first citizen of India and Chief Commanders of Indian Armed Forces besides this Prime Minister of India is de-facto users of the all the executive powers the of President of India.
Eligibility Criteria of President of India
- Any person above the age of 35 and Indian residents.
- He/She must be qualified for the Member of Lok Sabha.
What is the acting duration of President of India?
- Once elected President of India can enjoy the Office for 5 Years.
- He/She can only resign from the office before this 5 year.
- He/She can removed from the his/her office by the process of impeachment mentioned under article 61.
Who will take the charge of President of India office in case of absence of current President ?
- If President of India is absent from the office due to any of the reason like death, Out of office, Foreign Trip or resignation then Vice-President of India will take the charge of President of India office.
Some Interesting Information about the President of India Office
- 7 Presidents of India were from the Political Parties before becoming President of India.
- 2 presidents died in office are – Zakir Hussain and Fakhruddin Ali Ahmad.
- There are total 14 Presidents of India elected post independence of India. Shri Ramnath Kovind Ji is the 14th newly elected President of India.
Year Wise Presidents of India with Tenure and some interesting facts.
1. Rajendra Prasad
- He is our first President of India.
- Life 1884 – 1963
- Number of years worked as President of India is 12 Years and longest time.
- First elected as President of India in 26th Jan 1950 unanimously by constituent assembly and left office 13th May 1952.
- Second time elected as 13th May 1952 – 13th May 1957.
- Third time on 13th May 1957 – 13th, May 1962.
- Party connected to Indian National Congress.
2. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- He is our second President of India
- Life 1888 – 1975.
- Vote Share 98.2% in election.
- President of India tenure 13th May 1962 – 13th May 1967.
- He is was awarded Bharat Ratna before becoming President of India.
- The first President from South India.
- Appointment as President of India by Bhuvneshwar Prasad Sinha.
3. Zakir Hussain
- Third President of India and short serving President.
- Life 1897 – 1969
- Vote shared 56.2% in election.
- President of India tenure from 13th May 1967 – 3 May 1969.
- He was Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University
- Receipt of Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna.
- Appointment as President of India by Kailash Nath Wanchoo.
3.1. Varahagiri Venkata Giri
- Fourth President of India and first acting President of India.
- Life 1894 – 1980
- President of India tenure from 3rd May 1969 – 20th July 1969.
3.2. Mohammad Hidaytullah
- Life Span of Acting President of India Mohammad Hidaytullah.
- Life 1905 – 1992
- Received order of British Empire.
- He served as acting President of India only for 35 days.
4. Varahgiri Venkata Giri
- He is the first President of India who served nation as acting as well as full time.
- Life Span 1894 – 1980.
- Vote share percentage 50.8%.
- President of India tenure 24th Aug 1969 – 24th August 1974.
- He received Bharat Ratna and also served as Labour and Employment.
5. Fakruddin Ali Ahmed
- He was the second President who died in office.
- Life Span 1905 – 1977
- Vote Share in Election 79.9%
- Tenure as a President of India 24th August 1974 – 11 Feb 1977.
- Before as a President of India he was Food and Agriculture Minister.
- He was also the President of India during the emergency.
5.1 Basappa Dhanppa Jatti
- Tenure as a President of India 11 Feb 1977 – 25th July 1977.
- He was acting president due to sudden death of Fakruddin Ahmed.
6. Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy
- He was 6th President of India
- Life Span 1913 – 1996
- Elected as President of India unupposed.
- Tenure as a President of India 25th July 1977 – 25th July 1982.
- He was the first Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- He was the only Member of Parliament from Janta Party from Andhara.
- He was also unanimously elected as Speaker of Lok Sabha.
7. Zail Singh
- 7th President of India
- Life Span 1916 – 1994
- Vote Share % 72.7
- Tenure of President of India 25th July 1982 – 25th July 1987.
- Selected as Chief Minister of Punjab in March 1972.
- He was also secretary general of Non Aligned Movement.
8. Ramaswamy Venkataraman
- 8th President of India
- Life Span 1910 – 2009
- Vote share in Election of President of India 72.2%
- Tenure as a President of India 25th July 1987 – 25th July 1992
- He was part of Indian Independence Movement and Jailed in 1942.
- He was the first Minster of Finance and Industry.
9. Shankar Dayal Sharma
- 9th President of India
- Life Span 1918 – 1999
- Vote share in Election of President of India 65.8%
- Tenure as a President of India 25th July 1992 – 25th July 1997.
- Earlier as President of India he also served Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Governor of Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, and Maharastra.
10. Kocheril Raman Narayan
- 10th President of India and first dalit President of India.
- Life Span 1921 – 2005
- Vote share % in election of President of India 92.%
- Tenure of President of India – 25th July 1997 – 25th July 2002.
- Before serving as a President of India he served as Ambassador to Thailand, Turkey, China and United States of America.
- Vice Chancellor of JNU
11. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
- 11th President of India and First scientist as a President of India.
- Life Span 1931 – 2015
- Vote share % in election of President of India 89.5%
- Tenure as President of India 25th July 2002 – 25th July 2007.
- Earlier to President of India he was Chief Scientific Advisor to Prime Minister of India.
- He was educator, Scientist and engineer who lead India in Ballastic Missiles.
- He also known as People President of India.
12. Pratibha Patil
- 12th President of India and First woman President of India
- Life Span 1934 – till date
- Vote Percentage share in President of India election 65.8%
- Tenure as a President of India – 25th July 2007 – 25th July 2012.
- First female governor of Rajasthan.
13. Parnab Mukherjee
- 13th President of India
- Life Span 1935 – Till date
- Vote Percentage share in President of India election 69.3%
- Tenure as a President of India – 25th July 2012 – 25th July 2017
- He held many important post in Government of India such as Finance minister, Foreign Minister, Defense Minister and Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission.
14. Ram Nath Kovind
- 14th and Current President of India.
- Second Dalit President of India after K R Narayanan.
- Life Span 1945 – Till date
- Vote Percentage share in President of India election 65.6%
- Tenure as a President of India – 25th July 2017 – 25th July 2022(to be).
- First President of India from BJP.
- Before President of India he was governor of Bihar 2015 to 2017.
- Member of Parliament from 1994 – 2006.