Before moving forward to know about the top 9 popular over the top media services in India lets know about what is over the top media services? What is the current business market of ott in India? In current lock down period in India these ott channels will help you in time spent. There are many popular web series, movies are going on this current lock down due to corona virus.
What is over-the-top media services or ott?
OTT stands for over the top media services which is distributing streaming media over the internet. In India, its started from 2008 with the name Bigflix launched by Reliance Entertainment.
Total business of OTT in India in 2019 was of Rs. 35 billion. There 40 ott service providers but here are top 9 over the top media i.e ott platform listed.
- Owned by Novi Digital Entertainment subsdiary of Star India.
- Launched in February 2015.
- Subscription Type : Domestic Programme and IPL & Premium international films and television series.
- Active Users of Hotstar : 300 Million.
- Regional languages : 7
- Is an American media-services provider and production company headquartered in Los Gatos, California.
- Founded in August 29, 1997.
- This is working on subscription-based streaming service.
- offers online streaming of a library of films and television programs, including those produced in-house.
- Paid subscriptions worldwide – 148 million
- Total subscriptions including free trials – 154 million
- Netflix released an estimated 126 original series and films in 2016.
- Revenue : US$20.156 billion.
- SONY LIV and formerly as SonyLIV owned by Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt. Ltd., based in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
- Founded in January 23, 2013.
- Area Served : India, UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia,Oman, Bahrain.
- Other channels : Sony TV, Sony SAB, Sony Mix, Sony Max, Sony Max 2, Sony Six, Sony Pix, AXN and Sony Yay (formerly Animax Asia).
4. Amazon Prime Video
- Amazon Prime Video is an American Internet video on demand service that is completely owned by Amazon.
- Launched on September 7, 2006.
- Paid Subscription for 1 Year in India is of Rs.999.
- Paid Subscription for one month in India is of Rs.129
- First month Amazon Prime Subscription is Free.
5. Eros Now
- Indian subscription based over the top, video on-demand entertainment and media platform and is owned and controlled by Eros Digital.
- Eros Now has more than 12,000 digital titles that include movies, television shows, music videos and 2.5 lakhs music tracks.
- Launched in 2012.
- Users of Eros : 155 million.
- Eros Now has 18 million subscribers on YouTube.
- The basic plan (in India) subscription costs Rs. 49.
- The plus plan (in India) subscription costs Rs. 99.
- Indian subscription based video on demand platform which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Balaji Telefilms Ltd.
- AltBalaji claims the platform to be the largest content bank seen in India.
- Launched on 16 April 2017.
- Its is the online arm of Viacom 18.
- It is Viacom 18’s advertising-led video-on-demand platform.
- Voot is available only in India, and hosts over 40,000 hours of video content.
- Launched in March 2016.
- Voot Original series are made available only to paid subscribers.
8. MX Player
- MX player is developed by J2 Interactive now know as MX Media & Entertainment and owned by Times Internet.
- Launched in 20 February 2019.
- Users of MX player in India – 350 million.
- Users of MX player globally- 500 million.
- Indian video on demand website run by Essel Group via its subsidiary Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL).
- Having content in 12 languages.
- Launched 14 February 2018.
- User : 150+ million worldwide.
Subscribe the channels as per your choice movies, web series and stay at home